Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A Few Things I Love and Hate About Humanity and the World We Live In

Things I Love:

There are so many things that I love about this world and so many reasons why I choose to be a part of it every day of my life. 
  • One of the main things that gets me out of bed in the morning is that the universe still has so much to teach us, yet we're uncovering its secrets every day. Have you ever thought of college outside the terms of  "I must complete this stage of my life if I am to be successful/make money"? Sometimes (especially when I'm in a math/computer science class) I like to think of college in terms of "x amount of years ago, people had no idea how this thing that I'm learning now worked. It took years for the brightest minds of the time to figure this out, and I'm learning it now, in my teens and early 20's" Think of your next class in that kind of light and I promise you, you'll appreciate whatever you're learning a little bit more. I just love this concept because to me this is humanity at its most cooperative. Everyone's working together to make the next generation smarter, and I get to be a part of that. I pretty much just love feeding my curiosity for the universe
  • I love how the internet makes it so much easier for creative people to get their ideas out and enables them to actually make a living off their creative work. To some extent, I've experienced this myself. Occasionally, I write poetry and if it wasn't for the internet, I'd have no way of getting these feelings out to the world. They'd be stuck in my room and maybe only read by my closest friends. But I have the ability to post them to numerous amounts of websites, and it's a pretty cool feeling when you get to share the emotion of a poem with a group of people, even if they're strangers
  • I love that we can use music as a way of bypassing language when trying to communicate an emotional thought or experience. There have been so many times when words just don't do a thought or an emotion justice. I've never felt that kind of barrier when experiencing music. There's just something about it that speaks to me on a deeper level. One of my favorite musicians, Dallas Green said one time in an interview, "I don't want to make people dance, I want to make people cry". There's just something powerful about music and how it can connect us all and reach us on a level so deep, without even really knowing that person.
  • I love people that are passionate and pure in their hearts. It seems like its these people's missions in life to just make everyone's life a little bit more awesome. This is a rare kind of human, but I've had the pleasure of knowing some of these individuals; some I feel like I've known forever and others I'm dying to make more memories with. I think this is actually one of my favorite things in this list of favorite things. People like this just have the power to transform a shitty day into something so much better if you let them work their magic. I continually strive to be more like these people and make every effort to show them the same kindness


Things I Hate:
  •  I hate how we can be so selfish sometimes. You don't really have to go far to experience this aspect of humanity. All of us have been guilty of this at one point or another. Even though you might need what I have more than I do, (I actually won't even miss it) I don't want to give it to you because it's mine and I like the fact that it's mine. Every time I come across a homeless person asking for money, I go through this internal debate of whether or not the money I would give him would help him or hurt him. I guess that's kinda bad on my part for trying to make that kind of judgment call on a person I've never seen before all in a matter of the time it takes him to walk over to my car. Sometimes I give and sometimes I don't, but I should probably give more often. This can also be taken to the large end of the spectrum. How long can you think about the fact that the CEO that makes so much money a year, he/she doesn't even know what to do with it all and the person who makes a dollar a day working his/her fingers to the bone trying to provide for his/her loved ones live on the same planet. It just makes me think if we could all just be a little more kind to everyone around us, it would have such an impact.
  •  I hate that we feel the need to put down other people to make ourselves seem tall in the eyes of the world. this ranges from the cut-throat politician to the elementary school bully. This is an issue pretty close to my heart. I was bullied in middle school. The people who were doing it probably didn't realize the effect that it had on me, but it made me hate coming to school during the time that this was going on. I also realized that on some occasions in high school, I was the one doing the bullying. It's just a vicious circle of feelings of inadequacy being circulated around. I appreciate what I've learned from these situations, but if I had the chance to go back and help instead of hurt, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Especially now with the age of the internet coming into full swing, the bullying doesn't just stay at school, it's all over the internet and consequently everywhere. Whenever I hear anything on the news about a tragedy involving bullying, it just motivates me to love and encourage the people I'm close to a little bit more. I feel that if all the decent people in the world were to just saturate their environments with love, none of this would be happening.
  •  I hate how money gets in the way of progress (see my previous post). Think of how much more awesome every country would be if it's politics didn't stink of dirty money. Every time election year comes around in the U.S. I always get so angry that these candidates are out fundraising and worrying about that than the actual issues at hand. I just wish there was a way to separate politics from huge payouts. Call me crazy but I believe when a government official does something, it should be for the good of the people, not so his buddy gets his palm greased with some cash.
Well there you have it folks, just a few things that I love and hate about humanity and the world we live in. I may or may not post more things like this. it depends on my mood, but if you'd like to add your own, just do it in the comments. see ya
-Carlos

No comments:

Post a Comment